Car insurance for learner drivers

Learning to drive is an exciting milestone. So, if it’s your first time behind the wheel or you’re guiding a learner driver, here’s all you need to know about ensuring you’re protected on the road with the right kind of insurance.

Learning to drive is the tipping point between relying on public transport or parents and friends to get around to discovering greater independence. But before you buckle in and hit the road, you’ll need to make sure you have the right kind of cover to suit your situation – just in case the unexpected happens. Here’s the basics on what you need to know about insurance for learner drivers.

Get covered with the right car insurance

Your choice of cover will depend on your situation, like if you’re learning to drive using your parent’s car or have bought your own new set of wheels to learn in. Whatever the situation is, here are some of the main types of car insurance and what’s covered:

Comprehensive Car Insurance: This protects your car from the unexpected and comes with options to suit how you drive it. This policy can cover the cost of repairs for damage caused by both parties in an incident, natural events like flood and fire, and unexpected circumstances such as theft.

Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance: If you’re looking for basic security while you’re out on the road, this policy provides smart cover for the unexpected. Even if your budget is tight or your car’s not worth much, you might still need cover if you cause an accident or an uninsured driver runs into you. Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance covers you for the cost of repairs for damages caused by you to another driver’s vehicle. It also provides protection from uninsured drivers, with cover up to $5,000 of repairs to your vehicle if your car is damaged by an uninsured vehicle and the accident is not your fault.

Third Party Fire and Theft Car Insurance: This is mid-range cover for your car. You might not want all the bells and whistles, but you can still get important protection for when you’re out on the road, plus cover in case your car gets stolen or damaged by fire or attempted theft. Plus, if your car’s damaged by an uninsured vehicle and it’s not your fault, we cover up to $5,000 of repairs to your vehicle.

Listing a learner driver to your car insurance policy

Learner drivers are covered under all CGU Private Motor Insurance policies without the need to be listed on the policy, however they must be accompanied by a fully licenced driver aged 25 years or more. This includes a Nominated Driver Motor Vehicle Insurance Policy where your premium will be calculated on the basis that your car will be driven by no more than two nominated drivers who are 25 years of age or over.

If however you or your child purchases a new or used car for them to learn in, the safest option is to get a quote and buy a new car insurance policy.

So, whether you’re a learner driver cruising the streets in a new set of wheels, or you’re a parent teaching your child the ins and outs of road safety in your old family car, you can get covered in a few simple steps.

Before you decide which cover is right for you, it’s worth checking the policy documents to get an idea of what is and isn’t covered. For more details, view CGU’s Motor Vehicle Insurance Product Disclosure Statement (PDS). We're here to help. Get in touch with us today for a car insurance quote.

Horizon Bank has a branch network spanning the NSW South Coast and Illawarra. Horizon Bank branch locations: Albion Park, Bega, Bermagui, Berry, Merimbula, Moruya, Nowra, Thirroul, Ulladulla & Wollongong.

The content in this article has been prepared by CGU for general information only and it is not intended to be professional advice. It does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You should seek your own legal, accounting, financial or other professional advice where appropriate, and consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement and Terms and Conditions before deciding whether to acquire any products or services offered by Horizon Bank and/or its affiliated partners. We do not recommend any third party products or services referred to in this article unless otherwise stated and we are not liable in relation to them. Any links to third party websites are for your information and we do not endorse any content on those sites. Horizon Credit Union Ltd ABN 66 087 650 173 AFSL and Australian Credit Licence Number 240573 trading as Horizon Bank. Insurance issued by Insurance Australia Limited ABN 11 000 016 722 trading as CGU Insurance. Consider the relevant PDS available from to see if a product is right for you.